function apply(){ = 'wait'; window.location.replace(""); }

Lost your UTR Number?

lost utr number

Even though the tax season is a few months away, it is always a good idea to have your records in order before the big day arrives. This article will help you to get organised and to find your UTR number if you have lost it.

Everyone who is self employed should have a unqiue tax payer reference (UTR) number. Your UTR number is a 10 digit unique code that is given to you by the Inland Revenue as an identification tag for your tax records.

Where to find your UTR Number

If you have registered for self assessment you can find your UTR number in a number of locations including:

  • On your Tax Return – Inland Revenue Form SA100
  • On a ‘Notice to Complete a Tax Return’ – Inland Revenue Form SA316
  • Statement of Account

Lost your Number?

If you can not find any of the above documents which may show your UTR number you can always contact your local tax office. Most major cities have a tax office and you can use your phone book to find your closest or you can use this tax office locator.

Once you have found your local tax office, give them a call and have as much of your tax information to hand (such as national insurance number, date of birth, address etc). Your tax office will then be able to send you a reminder of your UTR number.

24 Responses to “Lost your UTR Number?”

  1. Chris Jones
    29. Nov, 2010 at 11:56 pm #

    I registered for a UTR Number when I became self employed 2 years ago. I now need to complete my tax return and need my UTR number. I think have lost my UTR number, how can I get a replacement?

    • admin
      30. Nov, 2010 at 12:17 am #

      Chris Jones: Do you have any of your tax returns from last year? Your Unique Taxpayer Reference number should be on this.

      • melissa
        08. Apr, 2011 at 11:34 am #

        I now think I have registered twice in my attempt to get a UTR I cannot get through and it has cost me about £20 in phone fees trying. It is my first year and I have not received my UTR despute this

    • Anonymous
      04. May, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

      How do I get my utr numbere

  2. handyman manchester
    25. Jan, 2011 at 9:23 am #

    i have lost mine too, 6 days to go and i can’t get through to the tax office

    • admin
      30. Jan, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

      handyman manchester: What happens when you try to call them?

  3. John B
    25. Jan, 2011 at 5:33 pm #

    Hi admin
    How did the above Chris Jones resolve his problem?
    I have the same problem. I can not locate my paper work with the number on and so far I am stuck.

    • admin
      30. Jan, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

      John B: You can find it on: (1) On your Tax Return (2) On a ‘Notice to Complete a Tax Return’ (3) Statement of Account

    03. Feb, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

    i have a utr number but i was told that is disfanctional becouse of this i have bein getting taxed at 30% this has been going on for 8 weeks. I would like this to stop as soon as possible as it may leed with me having to leave my job becouse i can simply not aford the high tax rate as i am experiensing fanacial difficalties.


    • admin
      04. Feb, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

      JOSHUA MUTHENI: Are you being taxed on PAYE or CIS?

  5. carina
    16. Feb, 2011 at 12:14 am #

    hello, i have recently lost my job i have just turnt 18 and this is my first job i should have not been taxed nearly £400 in total right? When and should i get this rebate?

  6. raduta nicolae
    07. Mar, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

    i lost my utr number. i have not an other paper,no statment of account, no notice to complete the return tax nothing, i have not once paper in wich i can find the UTR number.
    Please, how can i found it?


    • Name
      02. May, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

      surly the company you been subing ouyt to must have it as they need it to send your tax off with

  7. robert haidu
    18. Mar, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

    Just recieved my national insurance number.. is there a phone line i could call too hurry things up for my utr number. thank you!

  8. richard mowbray
    11. Apr, 2011 at 8:07 am #

    i have been trying to contact local tax office at sheffield to get my utr they never answer any one else i can phone ???

    • Name
      18. May, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

      call 0845 3000 627 they will help

  9. Mr. A. Zeria
    01. Jun, 2011 at 9:56 am #

    I have misplaced my UTR no; can you pls help?

    many thanks

  10. Anonymous
    13. Dec, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

    i registered online months ago and was sent a comfirmation e mail that said i would recieve my UTR in the post which i have not. Luckily i have not needed it so far but now i do and judging by all everyone else is saying im going to have to waste my time and money trying to get it, its a joke! They are quick to remind you about paying tax on time, what you owe and the repurcussions if your late but they aint that bothered about helping people to do it. Banks have no problem with reference numbers, loan companies have no problem with reference numbers and the council and ebay and the list goes on….. it should take one 5min call at the most, what is wrong with these people?

  11. Anonymous
    04. Jan, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

    Tax office is CR@P No-one can get through. How about you actually have the man power to answer phonbes. If not somehow let us have our UTR number emaild to us. People are quick enough to ring us if we do not get our tax returns in quick enough.

  12. Cal
    24. Jan, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

    Call 01619 319070. its the number to call if you are ringing from abroad, but i ring it all the time as you get through to a real person withing 15 seconds.

    • Chris
      05. Apr, 2012 at 10:44 am #

      Thanks for the advice on the number to ring, like many other on here, I have spent a fortune on phone costs waiting to be spoken to, the number from outside the uk was answered straight away, even though he asked me what country I was phoning from and stressed that it was not for UK use, he dealt with my request (just this time) Why is it so easy when outside the uk?

  13. Peter
    08. Mar, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

    I apply for my UTR number but in that time I also change me home adress , and I didn`t receive my UTR numer,how I can get back , because I didn`t know my UTR numer .
    It`s posible to get back?and if is posible,how I can do ?

  14. Peter
    12. Mar, 2012 at 7:49 pm #

    I apply for my UTR number but in that time I also change me home adress , and I didn`t receive my UTR numer,how I can get back , because I didn`t know my UTR numer .
    It`s posible to get back?and if is posible,how I can do ?

  15. kestutis
    26. Mar, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

    Hello I was return my tax 2 years ago and I was did this on one of tax return agency , but I not reseve any papers and even my tax whic is was £200 , now I need my utr number coz I need start to work and that agency gone . how I can get my utr number ?

Leave a Reply to Mr. A. Zeria