function apply(){ = 'wait'; window.location.replace(""); }

How to get a UTR Number if Self Employed

utr number

If you want to receive a UTR (Unique Tax Payer) reference number you may need to register as self employed with HMRC. Once you have registered as self employed a UTR number should be sent within a few weeks. In this article we outline the procedures to register as self employed:


How to Register There are three ways in which you can register as self employed:

  1. Online - This is the quickest and easiest way to register. It allows both sole traders (a business owned and operated by one person) and partners from a partnership to apply with HMRC as self employed.
  2. By Phone -  You can also register by telephone as self employed in order to recieve your UTR number. You can call anytime between 8am and 8pm on the newly self employed helpline. Their number is: 0845 915 4515. Remember to have all the documents below to hand.
  3. By Post – If you do not want to apply online or by phone you can complete CWF1 ‘ Becoming self-employed and being registered for National Insurance contributions and/or tax’. You can then send this form to your local tax office.

Information You will need to Register as Self Employed and To get your UTR Number If you are registering to become self employed by phone or online, you should have all the following information to hand to avoid your registration timing out:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • National Insurance number
  • Your date of birth
  • A contact telephone number
  • A contact email address
  • The date your started as self-employment
  • The type/nature of your business
  • Your business address
  • Your business telephone number
  • UTR number if you were previously being Self Assessed
  • The business’s UTR if you are joining an existing partnership
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]

View ratings
Rate this article

How to get a UTR Number if Self Employed
0 votes, 0.00 avg. rating (0% score)

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply