function apply(){ = 'wait'; window.location.replace(""); }

UTR Registration

Not everyone in the UK has to complete a tax return but if you earn over the threshold or if you are self employed, chances are that you will need to complete a annual return to let HMRC know about your income and any expenses.

If you are completing a tax return, you’ll need a Unique Tax Payer Reference (UTR) number. Often people mistake this number for their national insurance or CIS number but each of these are in fact distinct. This article will look at how you apply for a UTR number for your tax return.

How to Register For a UTR Number

Registering for a UTR number is not a difficult process and you can apply for one at the same time as changing your status as self employed (if you have not already done so). If you are not self employed you can apply for your UTR number in one of four ways:

1. You can register online at HMRC website

2. You call call your local tax office

3. You can apply in writing

4. You can go to your local tax office and book an appointment.

Registering as Self Employed

As mentioned, if you are registering as self employed you can register for a UTR number as the same time. You should let HMRC know as soon as you are, or planning to beocme self employed so as to avoid a penalty. You can register as self employed by:

1. Apply online.

2. Completing the Form CWF1 - “Becoming self-employed and registering for National Insurance contributions and/or tax”

3. Phoning the Newly Self-Employed Helpline on 0845 9154 515

Let us know if you have any questions in the comments about registering for a UTR number. Remember to apply as early as you can because when it comes around to the tax return deadline, not only will HMRC have backlogs but you don’t want anything delaying your tax return which could result in an additional fine.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]

View ratings
Rate this article

UTR Registration
0 votes, 0.00 avg. rating (0% score)

3 Responses to “UTR Registration”

  1. florin laurentiu stroescu
    22. Jul, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

    I registered by phone for utr number 8 weeks ago and still waiting.why? thank you

    VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    • Anonymous
      16. Mar, 2012 at 11:01 pm #

      I already have a job but its part time I’ve had taz return but cnt find slip wud my UTR number b onit I’ve nt registered as being self employed as my company pays my taax but need number for 2nd job cn any1 advise me

      VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
      VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
  2. Anonymous
    05. Mar, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

    I used to be self employed then went to employed now back employed can I use my old UTR number? Cheers

    VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    VA:F [1.9.22_1171]

Leave a Reply